Over the past decade or so, employee engagement has become somewhat of a trendsetter. Why? Because poor employee engagement is a company buzz-kill, and organizations are realizing that the demand to retain top talent is escalating. Fully engaged employees are far more likely to be satisfied, motivated and committed to their work and company.
Overall, an engaged employee is more:
- Positive in their work approach
- Committed to developing and maintaining careers at their organization
- Creative in solving problems
- Motivated to meet and exceed goals
- Proactive about learning new skills and starting new projects
- Connected to the mission of the company
According to Deloitte’s Global Human Capital Trends 2015, company culture and employee engagement are driving issues for organizations around the world. These words get thrown around a lot, and deservingly so.
Company Culture vs. Employee Engagement
The term “company culture” is often synonymous with the term “employee engagement”. Discussions about employee retention and workplace happiness frequently mention the two. However, the notion that culture and engagement are the same can be puzzling. Employees (and even senior management) often believe the two terms have the same meaning.
Obviously, they don’t.
Company culture or workplace culture is defined as the environment that you create for your employees. It is the mix of your organization’s leadership, values, traditions, beliefs, interactions, behaviors and attitudes that contribute to the emotional and relationship environment of your workplace.
Employee engagement is the extent to which employees feel passionate about their jobs, are committed to the organization and put discretionary effort into their work.
Simply put, company culture is how an organization operates and employee engagement is how they feel about their culture
But any way you slice it, employee engagement is a direct result of a strong company culture. It refers to how employees feel about their culture and their jobs. The stronger a company’s culture is, the better employees understand what is expected of them and what they are working toward. Engaged employees are more likely to stay happy, motivated and committed to your company.
Transform your Company Culture with Workmates
HR Cloud is a strong believer in the power of a healthy and engaged company culture. This is exactly why we developed Workmates – a mobile and web app designed as a team engagement, collaboration and productivity tool for business. Workmates is a complete communications hub. Find and connect with anyone on any channel, whether it’s by phone, chat, group chat, text, email, Skype or Hangouts.
Workmates gets everyone connected with a company directory for sourcing your team’s information quickly.
- Increase Productivity: Share information across teams, keep everyone in sync and improve employee performance.
- Strengthen Teamwork: Post comments and start discussions. Work together effectively as a team.
- Support Innovation: Empower employees to share thoughts and ideas through an internal social platform that promotes dialogue making communication fun.
- Drive Recognition: Encourage employees to recognize their peers and be recognized for a job well done with Kudos.
Workmates can transform your company culture, cultivate your people and help retain the highest performing talent.
Connect your company today and request a free demo of Workmates!
Each company is different therefore, each HR software solution is different. We’ll show you how our Workmates employee communication and engagement platform can transform communication, collaboration and participation within your organization.